Rent vs. Buy a Home: How to Know Which is Best for You
The thought of moving into a home is bound to be exciting.
However, you may be unsure whether to take out a mortgage or rent a property, and that’s understandable. Both options are a big personal and financial commitment.
And, each option will have different advantages and disadvantages, so it is important you review them carefully to make an informed decision.
The Advantages of a Mortgage
The biggest benefit of taking out a mortgage is the fact you will own the property. That means you can design and decorate it any way you choose.
It may also be worth buying your own home if you plan to remain in the property for five years or more. By staying in the home for a lengthy time, you will are more likely to recoup the transaction costs at a future date.
It also is important to note you will be required to put down a deposit on the property, with many banks requesting a minimum deposit of 20%.
So, if you have considerable savings in the bank or the means to save a 20% deposit, you could be an ideal candidate for a mortgage.
If you are lucky enough to find a mortgage with a low-interest rate, you will decrease the amount of money you will have to repay on the loan, so it could be a worthy investment.
If you would like to learn more about a property’s mortgage rates, we recommend using a home loan repayment calculator to estimate your minimum monthly repayments and the amount of interest you will need to pay.
However, if you choose to rent, those monthly payments will go straight to the landlord instead. They will likely use the money to pay the mortgage on the property. So how can it be better to rent?
The Advantages of Renting
After reading about the advantages of a mortgage, you may have decided whether purchasing a property is the right financial path for you.
However, it is important to note that there are many benefits to renting, too.
Buying a mortgage can be expensive. Not only will you be tied to minimum monthly repayments, but you will also be required to put down a deposit on the property.
Renting can be a more affordable alternative to a mortgage, as people with limited funding can move into a property without the lengthy financial commitment.
It may also be worth renting a property if you are unsure about your current employment situation.
If you are currently fearing redundancy or believe you may soon be parting ways with the company, stop. Right now might not be the best time to embark on a big financial commitment like home buying.
Also, if you are currently experiencing a life transition, such as a divorce, it could be a wise move to initially rent a property over buying a new home.
There are many pros for renting or buying a property. The decision will be determined by your personal and financial circumstances, as well as your own risk tolerance.
Just ensure you are 100% confident in your decision before you sign on any dotted line.
- The 8 Best Real Estate Apps For House Hunters
- 6 Real Estate Blog Monetization Tips You Will Love
- A Simple Guide To Buying A Home With Bad Credit
- 3 Digital Real Estate Marketing Strategies That Work
- 15 Rustic Kitchen Decor IdeasAre you looking to give your kitchen a rustic makeover, but not sure where to start? Here are 15 rustic kitchen decor ideas for inspiration.
- 10 Mistakes When Setting Up a WebsiteAre you looking to set up a website for your business? Read our website 101 guide to learn the 10 mistakes people make when setting up a site.
- How to Prepare For Your First Trip to a Shooting RangeGoing to the shooting range for the first time can be extremely nerve wracking. Being prepared is essential. Here's what to expect your first time.
- 10 Best Law Apps for Law School StudentsMobile apps are great ways for law school students to expand their methods of studying. Here you'll find the 10 best law apps for law school students.
- The 10 Best Places to Swim With Clear WaterIf you dream of relaxing in clear, blue water then don't miss this article. Click here to discover the 10 best places to swim with clear water.
- 8 Ways You Benefit From Selling Vape Products OnlineHave you thought of what your vape business gains by creating an online store? Here's how joining the digital world and selling vape products online helps you.
- 10 Best Garage Door Apps of 2017Hate when you can't remember whether you closed the garage door or not? With a garage door app, that worry will be a thing of the past! Check out our top picks.
- 8 Home Improvement Apps for iOS and AndroidHaving some issues with your home renovation project? You might want to check out and download the top 8 home improvement apps for iOS and Android.
- What To Do if Your Car Breaks DownYour car breaks down and you have no idea what to do. Don't panic. Instead, read this article to learn everything you need to do in this situation.
- The 8 Best Real Estate Apps For House HuntersAre you looking for a home and need to get housing information fast and on the go? Read here for our list of the 8 best real estate apps for house hunters.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion