What are the Health Qualifications for CDL Truck Drivers?
Driving trucks may not be for everyone. But you, after months, or perhaps years, of saving for truck driving school, are sure that driving trucks is what you want to do with your life right now.
Unfortunately, however, your desire to drive trucks won’t be enough to guarantee that you’ll land a job as a truck driver. As it turns out, there is a whole host of health qualifications that you must meet before you are allowed to get behind the wheel of a truck, and for good reason.
So what are these health qualifications?
Follow along as we briefly cover the basics.
There is nothing unexpected about the physical requirements for being a truck driver. Simply put, you need to have a full set of fully functional limbs, no impairments that affect your ability to grip objects, the ability to see well enough to drive, and good hearing.
Keep in mind that you will be tested for most of these things.
Diseases & Disorders
Unsurprisingly enough, most jobs require that you are not too ill to perform the duties that are expected of you on the job, and this job is no exception. Though some of the following requirements may not seem entirely reasonable or fair, there are, in fact, good reasons for imposing such rules on aspiring truck drivers:
Though some of the following requirements may not seem entirely reasonable or fair, there are, in fact, good reasons for imposing such rules on aspiring truck drivers:
- If you are diabetic and rely on insulin to manage your condition, you are not currently eligible to become a truck driver, primarily because insulin can have serious side effects that affect people’s ability to operate vehicles.
- If you have a respiratory problem that could possibly impair your driving, you are not allowed to become a truck driver. Your medical examiner will determine whether or not your respiratory issues are too serious to take on the work.
- People with high blood pressure are also weeded out of the pool of candidates.
- Joint or muscular problems such as arthritis are not acceptable since they can affect your ability to drive.
- Candidates with some form of heart disease are perceived to be dangerous on the road due to the fact that their heart conditions could lead to crashes.
- If you have a psychiatric disorder or anxiety, you’re not permitted to become a truck driver. There are also other mental conditions that will disqualify you.
- You can’t have epilepsy or any similar condition which might affect your driving.
The expectations for drug use are standard, so you probably already have some idea about the substances that will affect your ability to become a truck driver. That said, we’ll quickly touch on what those substances are and how you are permitted to use them.
As you no doubt know, you are not allowed, under any circumstances, to use illegal substances, and this stipulation holds for any job that you apply for.
The rules surrounding the use of legal substances such as prescription drugs, however, are a bit more complicated. While you may use legal substances, the catch is that those drugs cannot affect your mental and physical capabilities. You are usually required to get the opinion of a medical examiner before you are cleared to work while you are taking certain drugs.
You are also allowed to consume alcohol during your free time, but you cannot currently be an alcoholic.
You should be aware of the fact that driving trucks can bring on certain health problems. Common concerns are bodily aches (especially back pain), sleep deprivation, and weight gain as a result of leading a sedentary lifestyle.
If you’re willing to take those risks, take a look at what CDL Truck Driver Training School has to offer aspiring truck drivers. After all, there is no reason to delay your dreams.
- What To Do if Your Car Breaks Down
- Top 5 Benefits of Educational eBooks for Students
- 5 Cannabis Books to Read If You Want to Be An Expert
- What to Do If You’re in Car Crash: 5 eBook Must-Haves
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion