What to Do During Diesel Exhaust Fluid Troubles
If you have a diesel vehicle, then it’s possible that you may run into DEF problems in the future.
Protect and prepare yourself by reading the guide below on DEF fluid troubles. From explaining the DEF mechanism to troubleshooting the most common problems, we can help you prevent any future problems that you may incur.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid Troubles
Use this guide to manage and treat diesel exhaust fluid troubles.
What is DEF?
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a solution made up of 32.5% urea and 67.5% de-ionized water that is added to a tank separate from the diesel fuel tank.
It is added to diesel vehicles to help them break down harmful emissions into nitrogen and water, through a Selective Catalytic Reduction system.
Due to EPA regulations, vehicle manufacturers have had DEF measurements in place for diesel vehicles since 2010, to help protect the environment and achieve fuel savings for drivers.
When to Add DEF
Make sure you pay attention to the alerts that arise on your dashboard. If a low DEF warning appears, make sure you add fluid as soon as possible.
When the DEF level drops below 10%, an amber warning will appear. At 5%, it will start flashing. If it falls below 2.5%, the engine power will be reduced and the vehicle speed will be stuck at 5 mph until you refill the DEF tank.
To prevent that mess, make sure you fulfill preventative care of your DEF tank and fill up as needed.
Common Mistakes & How to Fix Them
Of course, mistakes can occur when you’re taking care of a vehicle. Educate yourself and make sure you stay on top of preventing mistakes to help you survive future problems.
The top 3 DEF troubles arise from:
1. Putting DEF into Your Diesel Tank
Since DEF is made up of urea and water, putting it into your diesel tank can cause serious problems. That liquid combination can cause engine problems like causing fuel injector tips to explode or cause immediate cooling.
If you made this mistake, follow this protocol:
- Shut off the engine and contact your engine service provider.
- Drain the diesel tank and dispose of the fuel.
- Drain the diesel fuel conditioning module.
- Flush the fuel system.
- Replace all filters.
2. Ignoring the Warning Signals for DEF
Again, if you ignored the warning signals for DEF that meant it was time for you add fluid, you will be in trouble.
Warnings traject from Exhaust Fluid Range to Exhaust Fluid Low-Speed-Limited Soon to Exhaust Fluid Empty-Refill Now. Each warning is important as it denotes when it is time to refill.
If you missed these warnings, your car will be limited to 5 mph so make sure you fill up immediately.
3. Putting Contaminated DEF into the System
Contaminated DEF can also create problems, most likely resulting from improper storage.
Symptoms of fuel contamination include:
- an engine cranking, but won’t start
- engine runs rough
- low power
- engine knocking
- exhaust smoke
- FRP slow to build
Contaminated DEF can cause severe damage to the fuel system, so the most recommended repair is to replace the entire fuel system, which can be a very expensive.
- What To Do if Your Car Breaks Down
- What to Do If You’re in Car Crash: 5 eBook Must-Haves
- 5 Safety Tips Every Motorcyclist Should Know
- What are the Health Qualifications for CDL Truck Drivers?
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion