5 Student Loan Repayment Pitfalls You’ll Want to Avoid
The Obama Student Loan Forgiveness Program is an option that many former students are looking into.
Student loans are now a trillion-dollar issue in the United States. Don’t become a statistic!
Here are five pitfalls to avoid when faced with repayment of your student loans:
Pitfall 1. Waiting to repay
Certain types of student loans do not begin accruing interest until the day payments are set to begin. Typically this is at the end of a 6-month grace period following graduation.
Other loans (“unsubsidized” is the word you need to know) start accruing interest immediately after the funds are disbursed.
To avoid all of that interest build-up, if it’s where you can, start paying the monthly interest before you graduate. This can go a long way in getting you out of debt more quickly after you finish school.
2. Not paying at all
If there’s anything that will affect you more negatively than waiting to repay your student loans, it’s not paying at all.
Just like with any other type of debt, defaulting on payments only hurts you. It can take years to rebuild credit scores negatively impacted by late or non-payment of any type of debt.
Even if you think you might be eligible for Student Loan Forgiveness Obama, make your payments in the meantime. Your credit (and your future self!) will thank you.
3. Not paying extra
You might be surprised at how quickly you can get out of debt. Even the slightest bit of extra money tacked on to your monthly payment can make a huge difference.
By repaying your student loans in shorter period of time, you will ultimately save money. The shorter period of repayment time, the less interest you will owe. It’s simple math and lots of motivation!
4. Not knowing your options
By majoring in specific fields of study, you could qualify for certain types of loan forgiveness. Going to work for a particular type of government or non-profit agency could cancel your debt entirely.
A few of these fields include:
- Law Enforcement
- Social Work
If you don’t qualify for cancellation of your debt, there are other options you can consider.
Income-based repayment options can be a lifesaver and give you some breathing room if you are having trouble finding employment following graduation.
Graduated repayment plans are also available to keep your payments small and manageable and increasing every few years until you handle a larger payment.
Pitfall #5: Failing to understand student loans when they are made
Not knowing what you’re getting yourself into is perhaps the biggest pitfall to avoid. Student loans are not to be taken lightly.
Even with possibilities like the Obama Student Loan Forgiveness Program available, make sure you qualify for such programs before signing on the dotted line.
Student loans are not necessarily something to be afraid of. After all, your education is an investment in your future. Take the time to understand the choices you have and then get out there and discover your purpose!
- Top 5 Benefits of Educational eBooks for Students
- 5 Cannabis Books to Read If You Want to Be An Expert
- How to Use Kratom: 5 Must-Read Books to Download
- 5 Tips to Create Unique Videos for Training Online
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion