The Top Pros and Cons of Wearing Masonic Rings
If you’re a new member of the Freemasonry, or if you’re about to become one, chances are you’re curious about those mason rings.
What is the meaning behind these rings?
Should you wear one? What does it mean if you do? What does it mean if you don’t?
As of 2015, the Masonic Service Association of North America had more than 1.6 million members, and there are just about as many opinions on ring wearing.
You’re mulling over the ring, and we’ve answered the call, by pulling together a list of Masonic ring pros and cons. Keep reading for help in deciding if a ring is right for you or if you’d rather pass.
Mason Ring Pros
- The ring will constantly remind you to “live by the plumb”: The Freemasonry is a brotherhood committed to service to one another and the broader community; that’s why it gives more than $1.5 million a day to good causes! Your ring will serve as a constant reminder to uphold the tenets of the organization you proudly represent.
- You will undoubtedly meet other Masons: The Masons are literally everywhere. From Alabama to Africa, New Mexico to New Zealand, Lubbock to London. Whether you are milling about your hometown or traveling in far-flung locations, you’re bound to find more Masons. Wearing your Masonic ring is a way of saying, “I’m a Mason, let’s be friends!”
- You’ll get a chance to educate: Freemasonry is a centuries-old society whose illustrious alumni include Mozart, George Washington, Winston Churchill and Henry Ford, yet it’s shrouded in mystery. Wearing your ring will occasionally invite questions from nonmembers, which gives you a chance to spread the word and share your Masonic pride.
- You can turn your ring into a family heirloom: Masonic rings are beautiful items to pass on to future generations, but if you choose to do so, make sure you also pass on the sanctity of Freemasonry membership. See the third bullet under “cons.”
Mason Ring Cons
- The ring is bling: Masonic rings are not typically subtle accessories. You may find that there are certain times when you’d feel more comfortable with a toned-down look, such as a job interview or workout at the gym. Depending on your lifestyle, a ring just may not fit.
- Questions from strangers: Bullet No. 3 above has a definite flip side. Nonmembers will have questions, and maybe even some pretty inaccurate misconceptions, about the Freemasonry. If you’d find a stranger’s Q&A annoying, you might want to skip the ring.
- If you wear one, you better mean it: For Freemasons, the brotherhood is sacred. If you are wearing a ring just for the fashion statement, you are inviting the disdain of true Freemasons.
In the end, you have to do what’s right for you and your fingers. Remember that Masonic rings are not the only way to wear your Masonic pride. You may also consider dress cuffs, officer breast jewels, an embroidered badge, medals, a baseball cap, or for the Mason on the go, a car decal.
- 5 Trendy Shoes Celebs Are Wearing This Fall 2017
- Muscle Building Gear and Accessories to Boost Your Workout
- 5 Websites with Downloadable Coupons to Help You Save this Halloween
- A Quick Digital Guide to Clothes Washing Symbols
- 15 Rustic Kitchen Decor IdeasAre you looking to give your kitchen a rustic makeover, but not sure where to start? Here are 15 rustic kitchen decor ideas for inspiration.
- 10 Mistakes When Setting Up a WebsiteAre you looking to set up a website for your business? Read our website 101 guide to learn the 10 mistakes people make when setting up a site.
- How to Prepare For Your First Trip to a Shooting RangeGoing to the shooting range for the first time can be extremely nerve wracking. Being prepared is essential. Here's what to expect your first time.
- 10 Best Law Apps for Law School StudentsMobile apps are great ways for law school students to expand their methods of studying. Here you'll find the 10 best law apps for law school students.
- The 10 Best Places to Swim With Clear WaterIf you dream of relaxing in clear, blue water then don't miss this article. Click here to discover the 10 best places to swim with clear water.
- 8 Ways You Benefit From Selling Vape Products OnlineHave you thought of what your vape business gains by creating an online store? Here's how joining the digital world and selling vape products online helps you.
- 10 Best Garage Door Apps of 2017Hate when you can't remember whether you closed the garage door or not? With a garage door app, that worry will be a thing of the past! Check out our top picks.
- 8 Home Improvement Apps for iOS and AndroidHaving some issues with your home renovation project? You might want to check out and download the top 8 home improvement apps for iOS and Android.
- What To Do if Your Car Breaks DownYour car breaks down and you have no idea what to do. Don't panic. Instead, read this article to learn everything you need to do in this situation.
- The 8 Best Real Estate Apps For House HuntersAre you looking for a home and need to get housing information fast and on the go? Read here for our list of the 8 best real estate apps for house hunters.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion