The First Step is Admitting You Have an Addiction
Anyone who has ever been caught up in the awful throes of an addiction knows one thing to be true more than anything else: Admitting that you have an addiction is the first step towards a path of meaningful recovery.
It may sound cliche but, in reality, it’s true. The first step towards solving any problem is admitting that the problem exists in the first place.
The First Step
Addictions show up in many different forms in many different people, but, there is one constant that runs through all addictions, and it never ever varies.
A real recovery program can only begin when you finally admit that you have an addiction.
It starts when you get honest, firstly with yourself, and then with others. It begins the moment you realize that you do not have to live like this anymore.
Freedom from addiction begins when you allow yourself to tell the truth about who you are and where you find yourself at this juncture in your life.
Recovery begins the moment you say those painfully powerful words: I have a problem.
The Barrier to Recovery
When we are caught up in an addiction, we become our own worst enemy. In most cases, one extraordinarily significant barrier to our recovery emerges…
This is because when we’re caught up in addiction, a whole new mindset can drive our behavior. We can begin to deny the truth. We can start to concoct all sorts of excuses.
Addiction and Its Fake Promises
There may be a lot of hurt in that beautiful heart of yours, and at first, it will seek to justify your actions, rather than seek the redemption you so desperately want.
You might feel that you can find temporary relief in your addiction.
It understands you. You can trust it. At least, with it, you know where you stand.
So, instead of confronting the truth, it may seem easier to minimize the problem. You might feel that admitting that addiction has taken over your life would make you feel insecure and powerless.
It would draw attention to the problem, right? Admitting that you have a problem would mean facing the consequences of your choices, wouldn’t it?
As a consequence, it may seem easier to deny the seriousness of your addiction and to hide the extent of the problem from others, and worse of all, from yourself.
Addiction and Its Lies
All of this is perfectly understandable but, at its heart, addiction has sold you one enormous, corrosive lie.
Addiction might appear to promise you freedom from pain, freedom from suffering, freedom from feeling, but what it is actually doing is inviting unimaginable pain and suffering into your life.
Like a degenerative disease, your addiction wants to take over your life. It not only wants to own you, it wants your heart, your mind, and your body too.
And, even when it has taken all of those, it won’t be happy until it has taken your soul.
Hope and Recovery
The good news is that there is only one requirement to begin a journey of recovery from addiction, and that is the desire to stop participating in your own destruction.
Recovery starts the moment you admit that you have an addiction.
And, the rest of your glorious life begins from there.
- How Long Does It Take to Learn to Speak in Spanish?
- The 5 Best Self-Help Books You Need to Be Reading
- The 5 Best Motivational Cards You Can Download
- 5 Ways to Master the Art of Mindfulness
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion