How to Successfully Publish Your Novel
Many writers dream of two things: to get their novels published and win a fiction Pulitzer.
While winning a fiction Pulitzer isn’t an easy feat (you have to earn a nomination, and sometimes there isn’t even a winner in this category), getting your novel published isn’t quite as hard.
This doesn’t, however, mean it’s a walk in the park, especially if you’re a rookie novelist. You will find walls along the way, and your ability to climb or knock them down depends on how well you understand the process.
In this article, we’re sharing insider-style tips that will help you ensure your manuscript morphs into a book.
It’s Not Just About How Great Your Writing Is
Of course, to get your novel published you must be a master of your craft.
Anything less than a thought-provoking story, a delicious turn of phrase, and an ending that leaves the reader with more questions than answers, chances are high publishers will turn your novel down.
But then, most writers know their art. Publishers literally read thousands of captivating manuscripts every year, yet only a handful get the nod.
You see, publishers are in this business to turn out a decent profit. This means you have to offer more than just a great story.
Are you, for instance, a professional who can excel at publicity campaigns such as TV and radio interviews? Given the platform, do you have the gift of gab to draw potential readers to your book?
Find a Competent Literary Agent
The literary industry can be a jungle. Publishers rule this great land.
They, with the pickiness of a fashion model and her shoes, determine what books hit the shelves. And they have a systematic way of doing this.
Even though various publishing companies have different book acquisition strategies, most rely on literary agents.
If you can’t directly get a publisher’s eyeballs on your manuscript, perhaps a good literary agent can help you.
These professionals are industry experts. They have contacts with influential people (mostly commissioning editors) in publishing companies.
Although this will cost you (agents typically take a cut on your book’s earnings (advance plus sales), it’s one of the best routes to getting published.
There is a huge benefit of getting published by an established publisher. Their powerful marketing and publicity machinery can get your novel on a front table at a popular bookstore.
But what if you keep getting rejected by these publishers?
It’s time to shake off the rejections and self-publish (publish privately). You get to be in control of everything, from using your favorite book mockup generator for cover design to printing, pricing, marketing and distribution.
What’s the end game here?
A great first self-published novel can launch your career and get you noticed by top publishing companies. When it comes to publishing your second novel, you’ll likely choose your seat at the table and negotiate a good deal!
OK. That’s probably an exaggeration (unless you’re Harper Lee), but you catch the drift.
Write Your Way to the Bookstore!
In a writer’s world, there’s probably no greater pain than living with an untold story.
Sure, you might have the story in a manuscript, but of what importance is it if you’re unable to share the story with the world?
Follow these tips closely, and sooner or later, your novel will see the light of day.
- The Ultimate Guide to Content for Your Parenting Blog
- 10 Catchy Topics to Cover on Your Lifestyle Blog
- The 7 Best Writing Apps to Download in 2018
- These Are the Types of Blogs You Should Be Writing
- How to Design a Mobile App for Your Business without Writing CodeIs your business in need of an app to go to the next […]
- 4 Ways Hemp Oil Will Improve Your LifeStudies have shown the powerful effects of cannabidiol […]
- What You Should Know Before You Buy CBD Oil OnlineBy 2020, the cannabis (CBD) market could be worth over […]
- Why It’s Important to Perform a Drug and Alcohol Test Before HiringIt’s a fact that drug use in the workplace […]
- How To Dress Like the Celebs in 2018It may feel impossible to dress like the celebs and […]
- Yes, You Have to Pay for That: Why People Buy and Sell Digital DownloadsFrom video games to apps to ebooks to music and […]
- CBD Lotion: Benefits and Best PracticesDoes your body suffer from frequent aches and pains? […]
- What’s the Best Calorie Counter App?Whether you're looking to lose weight or improve your health, a calorie counter app can help keep you on track. Click here to learn more.
You May Also Like…
- The 7 Best Writing Apps to Download in 2018
- 5 Training Tips for Student Pilots
- How to Start Your Online Boutique Today
- 7 Cloud Computing Trends You Need To Know In 2018
- 5 Unforgettable Things to Do in Clearwater Beach, Florida
- How to Choose the Right Essential Oil Diffuser
- Top 10 Best Downloadable Web Design Software
- 8 Tips for Digital Marketing for Construction Companies
- Top 10 Tips for Planning a Small Wedding
- 4 Helpful Dental Apps You Need to Know About
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Featured Articles
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Private Investigator
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion