How to Successfully Publish Your Novel
Many writers dream of two things: to get their novels published and win a fiction Pulitzer.
While winning a fiction Pulitzer isn’t an easy feat (you have to earn a nomination, and sometimes there isn’t even a winner in this category), getting your novel published isn’t quite as hard.
This doesn’t, however, mean it’s a walk in the park, especially if you’re a rookie novelist. You will find walls along the way, and your ability to climb or knock them down depends on how well you understand the process.
In this article, we’re sharing insider-style tips that will help you ensure your manuscript morphs into a book.
It’s Not Just About How Great Your Writing Is
Of course, to get your novel published you must be a master of your craft.
Anything less than a thought-provoking story, a delicious turn of phrase, and an ending that leaves the reader with more questions than answers, chances are high publishers will turn your novel down.
But then, most writers know their art. Publishers literally read thousands of captivating manuscripts every year, yet only a handful get the nod.
You see, publishers are in this business to turn out a decent profit. This means you have to offer more than just a great story.
Are you, for instance, a professional who can excel at publicity campaigns such as TV and radio interviews? Given the platform, do you have the gift of gab to draw potential readers to your book?
Find a Competent Literary Agent
The literary industry can be a jungle. Publishers rule this great land.
They, with the pickiness of a fashion model and her shoes, determine what books hit the shelves. And they have a systematic way of doing this.
Even though various publishing companies have different book acquisition strategies, most rely on literary agents.
If you can’t directly get a publisher’s eyeballs on your manuscript, perhaps a good literary agent can help you.
These professionals are industry experts. They have contacts with influential people (mostly commissioning editors) in publishing companies.
Although this will cost you (agents typically take a cut on your book’s earnings (advance plus sales), it’s one of the best routes to getting published.
There is a huge benefit of getting published by an established publisher. Their powerful marketing and publicity machinery can get your novel on a front table at a popular bookstore.
But what if you keep getting rejected by these publishers?
It’s time to shake off the rejections and self-publish (publish privately). You get to be in control of everything, from using your favorite book mockup generator for cover design to printing, pricing, marketing and distribution.
What’s the end game here?
A great first self-published novel can launch your career and get you noticed by top publishing companies. When it comes to publishing your second novel, you’ll likely choose your seat at the table and negotiate a good deal!
OK. That’s probably an exaggeration (unless you’re Harper Lee), but you catch the drift.
Write Your Way to the Bookstore!
In a writer’s world, there’s probably no greater pain than living with an untold story.
Sure, you might have the story in a manuscript, but of what importance is it if you’re unable to share the story with the world?
Follow these tips closely, and sooner or later, your novel will see the light of day.
- These Are the Types of Blogs You Should Be Writing
- 3 Ways to Boost Digital Downloads for an Ebook Writer
- 5 Suggestions for Writers Doing Their Taxes
- 6 Blogging Tools That Will Make Your Life Easier
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion