What Shark Tank Can Teach You About Startup Failures
The business world can be a brutal, take-no-prisoners type environment. In fact, 8 out of 10 new business are expected to fold within their first few years. And perhaps that’s why millions of viewers tune in to ABC’s hit television program Shark Tank.
Comprised of rotating judges Mark Cuban, Lori Greiner, Daymond John, Barbara Cochran, and of course, Mr. Wonderful, Kevin O’Leary, Shark Tank is one of the most exciting and downright fascinating shows on television.
Competitors duke it out with the judges to get funding for their dream business.
But beneath the reality show exterior, there’s a lot that Shark Tank can teach us about business. Namely, failure isn’t always a bad thing.
Here are some key lessons to take away from Shark Tank’s startup failures.
Business Isn’t Always Easy
Shark Tank shares a lot with its reality show sister, American Idol. It’s theorized that people don’t so much tune in to watch the successes as they want to watch others fail.
This sounds harsh, but it brings about an important lesson: business isn’t always easy.
Entrepreneurs shouldn’t expect their first idea to be a smash hit. Sometimes ideas need refinement that can take weeks, months or even years.
This isn’t a bad thing, however. Don’t take rejection personally and learn to develop a thick skin. Rejection is going to come often, but it isn’t a personal matter.
There are plenty of reasons a business may not make it. Perhaps there isn’t enough capital, or an investor already has too many clients. So before contacting SBA Attorneys, be prepared for rejection.
Marketing Begins Upon Entering The Boardroom
Ultimately, a pitch doesn’t begin when the presentation does. On the contrary, a presentation is about more than PowerPoints and tables.
It’s about the entrepreneur themselves.
Everything from wardrobe to body language can make a huge impression in the boardroom. An awkward, aloof presentation may seem fun on TV, but in real life, it’s anything but.
And since startup failures are so common, one bad presentation can leave a business reeling. Accordingly, practice makes perfect.
Before presenting — even to just one person — have every detail planned out. That includes things like wardrobe and technology.
Like on Shark Tank, it’s the investor’s job to size up the entrepreneur. In fact, they may even pass on an opportunity because of the entrepreneur.
Remain calm, cool, and collected.
Failure Is Just As Important As Success
Finally, learn from every mistake. Don’t look at these as failures, but as growing opportunities as a businessperson.
Sometimes it’s important to sit down and look at the facts. What went wrong? What could have been avoided? What should’ve been done differently?
Debriefing a failed venture is a great way to learn some lessons. Understanding why something went wrong is far more helpful than shrugging it off. These failures should be cherished.
By understanding what happened in the past, it’s possible to improve future ventures.
Final Thoughts On Startup Failures
Shark Tank makes one thing abundantly clear: business is tough. But preparing, planning, and understanding can make a venture far more likely to succeed.
For more great tips and downloads, be sure to check out Pligg’s blog. From business advice to software, Pligg has everything you need to get ahead in life.
- The 5 Best Investment Apps For Amateur Investors
- How the Digital Catalog Could Help the Retail Industry
- Essential Tips for Customer Service Outsourcing
- How to Be Successful with Digital Gambling
- How to Design a Mobile App for Your Business without Writing CodeIs your business in need of an app to go to the next […]
- 4 Ways Hemp Oil Will Improve Your LifeStudies have shown the powerful effects of cannabidiol […]
- What You Should Know Before You Buy CBD Oil OnlineBy 2020, the cannabis (CBD) market could be worth over […]
- Why It’s Important to Perform a Drug and Alcohol Test Before HiringIt’s a fact that drug use in the workplace […]
- How To Dress Like the Celebs in 2018It may feel impossible to dress like the celebs and […]
- Yes, You Have to Pay for That: Why People Buy and Sell Digital DownloadsFrom video games to apps to ebooks to music and […]
- CBD Lotion: Benefits and Best PracticesDoes your body suffer from frequent aches and pains? […]
- What’s the Best Calorie Counter App?Whether you're looking to lose weight or improve your health, a calorie counter app can help keep you on track. Click here to learn more.
You May Also Like…
- The 7 Best Writing Apps to Download in 2018
- 5 Training Tips for Student Pilots
- How to Start Your Online Boutique Today
- 7 Cloud Computing Trends You Need To Know In 2018
- 5 Unforgettable Things to Do in Clearwater Beach, Florida
- How to Choose the Right Essential Oil Diffuser
- Top 10 Best Downloadable Web Design Software
- 8 Tips for Digital Marketing for Construction Companies
- Top 10 Tips for Planning a Small Wedding
- 4 Helpful Dental Apps You Need to Know About
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Featured Articles
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Private Investigator
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion