How to Prepare For Your First Trip to a Shooting Range
Few things are more intimidating than going to a range and firing a gun for the first time.
However, a trip to a shooting range is a fun and educational experience. Range staff members are eager to help novices learn how to properly handle these powerful machines.
Whether you want to learn how to survive the end of the world, or you’re just interested in a new experience, here’s what to expect your first time at a shooting range.
How a Shooting Range Works
There are two types of shooting ranges: indoor and outdoor. Indoor ranges are more common in populated urban areas, while outdoor ranges will be in less populated areas.
A shooting range is divided up into lanes. Shooters stand in a designated area and shoot across an open area with targets at the end. Behind the targets is a backstop to catch the bullets and shrapnel and prevent dangerous ricochets.
Public ranges are available to anyone. You don’t need a license or any experience to shoot at a range. You’ll only need to go through some safety training and sign a waiver, and you’re always free to ask staff for help.
Generally, ranges charge by the hour. The base price of going to a range is usually not more than $10-$15/hour. If you end up being a frequent visitor, most ranges offer an annual membership that can reduce or eliminate the range fee.
If you own a gun, you’re welcome to bring it, provided it’s unloaded and in a case when you arrive. You can also bring your own ammunition, ear protection, and safety goggles.
If you don’t own a gun or equipment, most indoor and some outdoor ranges offer rentals. This is a great way to try out different guns before you buy or to practice with different calibers.
Before shooting, you’ll go through a brief safety course – often a video – of gun etiquette and range rules.
You’ll likely hear these four rules of gun safety repeated several times:
- A gun is always considered loaded
- Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
- Don’t point at anything you aren’t prepared to destroy
- Know your target and what’s behind it
Along with general gun safety, you’ll learn about rules of that specific range. These guidelines often include to not aim at the ground, ceiling, or walls, to never shoot behind the firing line, and to never shoot across lanes.
Individual ranges may have additional restrictions, such as what guns or caliber is permitted. Many indoor facilities only allow pistols and shotguns, so you’ll have to head to an outdoor shooting range to try out long range rifles.
Take Your Shot
Once you’ve learned about the rules, signed the paperwork, and prepped your equipment, you’re ready to shoot!
For new shooters, it helps to bring an experienced friend or ask one of the range staff for help. They’ll be able to give you recommendations on which guns to shoot first for the best experience. They’ll also teach you the right way to hold and aim the gun as well as the correct stance.
With some practice, you’ll be able to proudly take home your own paper target with some pinpoint shots.
Looking for more ways to have some fun and get your fix of adrenaline? Check out our sports and recreation blog.
- Top 5 Diving Apps
- Muscle Building Gear and Accessories to Boost Your Workout
- This Guy Made Over $1,200 in 12 Days With Betting Software
- The 7 Most Expensive Sports Tickets of All Time
- How to Choose the Right Foot CreamYour feet are the unsung heroes of your body. […]
- 9 Motivational Movies for Aspiring EntrepreneursIt’s true for weight loss, budgeting, and […]
- 3 Tips for Making Your Dentist Website SEO FriendlyYou probably already understand how important your […]
- How to Build A Mobile App For FitnessThe mobile app marketing is one of the largest markets […]
- 2018 Plastic Surgery TrendsWith Americans now spending $16 billion a year on […]
- 5 Training Tips for Student PilotsStudent pilots enter the industry with dreams of […]
- How to Start Your Online Boutique TodayMore than half of Americans choose online shopping […]
- 6 New Fitness Apps to Keep Track of Your Daily Home Workout in 2018Not all of us can find the time to get in a quick […]
- 7 Tips To Travel the World on a BudgetLast year, 29.6 million Americans traveled overseas. […]
- The 10 Best Flight Apps for Tracking, Booking, and More!Are you looking for the best flight app? There are […]
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Private Investigator
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion