How to Know When You Should Just Call an Electrician
There are a million DIY TV shows and websites. You can paint it, you can stain it, you can cover it with fabric.
For the advanced DIY’er, you can learn how to build a deck chair. Or, even the entire deck.
But, when it comes to electricity, it’s much better to be safe than sorry.
Here’s how to know when to call an electrician.
Your home’s electricity
For most of us, there are two times we think about electricity:
- When it’s time to pay the bill
- When we flip a switch and something doesn’t work
The majority of the time, electricity is our silent friend. It keeps our food cold and lights our way.
But it can also be a dangerous friend if you’re not careful. Yes, it is more likely that lightning will kill you instead of your outlets at home.
But why take that chance?
It doesn’t matter whether you need something fixed or something brand-new installed.
Certified electricians can help you with any of your home’s electrical needs.
When you should call an electrician
There are so many things that need to be plugged in, in a typical household. From cellphones to hair dryers, lots of things need electricity.
The problem comes from plugging too many things into too many outlets.
Do you have multiple outlets that look like an octopus is trying to escape the wall? If so, your home’s electrical system may be overloaded.
An electrician can help sort out what you need and get it taken care of safely.
Those annoying, flickering lights
Have you noticed that when you turn on a major appliance that your lights flicker?
When the motor in that appliance starts up, it can draw a major amount of current.
It may be good to have that appliance on its own dedicated circuit instead.
Your breakers, that is.
Your octopus outlets and flickering lights may leave you in the dark when a breaker trips. Yes, they’re a safety measure meant to keep the system in check.
But they shouldn’t trip every time when you start the microwave.
Having an electrician assess your home’s electricity needs and use will help.
Warm isn’t good when it comes to electricity
Unless it’s an actual space heater, then it’s probably OK. But if you notice a switch or other power point that’s warm to the touch, something’s not right.
Older homes may have older wiring, too. Homes over 25 years old should be regularly inspected.
If you have anything that’s warm to the touch that shouldn’t be, you should call an electrician.
You’re grounded but your appliances aren’t
Especially in an older home, not all of your outlets may be of the 3 hole variety.
The bottom hole provides a ground for whatever you’ve got plugged in. This is even more important for larger appliances, like refrigerators and microwaves.
Don’t break that ground off the plug!
Call an electrician who can install new outlets that are safer for you and your family.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You Live
- Kitchen Trend: The Latest Design Fads
- 15 Rustic Kitchen Decor Ideas
- How To Start A Cleaning Blog For Your Industrial Cleaning Company
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion