Why Google is Considering Alternative Energy Sources
The word Google is synonymous with innovation. For years they have revolutionized the way we interact with the internet and in turn, with each other. Now the tech giant is turning this innovative mindset to alternative energy sources.
In 2016 Google used as much energy as the entire city of San Francisco. Right now, over 1 billion people utilize Gmail and users are viewing hundreds of millions of hours of YouTube videos a day.
To run these services, Google has begun to turn to both solar and wind alternatives. They have begun buying solar and wind energy to account for their annual electricity consumption.
To learn more, let’s look at some reasons this would be beneficial to Google.
Consider the Expense of Electricity
Consumers don’t realize how much energy is required to operate all of Google’s services globally. Data centers and servers around the world must be running 24/7. Aside from the major expense, the environmental effect is astounding.
For most large corporations in the tech industry, electricity is one of the biggest expenses. While helping promote reusable energy by going green, Google will also lower its bills.
Throughout the past 6 years, the cost of wind power has dropped 60 percent and solar 80. Locking in these low prices equates to significant reductions in overall energy costs.
The price of non-renewable energy sources like coal and oil will always fluctuate. However, the price of alternative energy sources like solar and wind remain stable. When considering their global operational costs, renewable energy makes perfect sense.
Mapping Solar Potential
In another effort to go green, Google invested in the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System. They also partnered with SunPower to help provide homeowners with solar panels. The tech giant is hoping to influence future energy approaches by unlocking the potential of solar energy.
Several years ago Google developed Project Sunroof. This online tool will tell you how much sunlight hits your roof and what you would save by installing solar panels. It also provides information on local solar companies that can provide installation.
Other tech companies have gotten into the solar game as well. Solar energy farms can produce energy at far less the cost of non-renewable energy.
Backing solar energy helps reduce expenses. It also promotes the proliferation of this valuable energy alternative.
Renewable Energy in Europe
Google is also taking its renewable energy initiative overseas. Their intent is to cut energy expenses and promote alternative energy sources globally.
Over the next decade, they will be purchasing all electricity generated by the biggest solar park in the Netherlands. This will provide renewable energy to a Google data center which houses thousands of servers. This center would otherwise be powered by non-renewable electricity.
This deal is perfect for the Netherlands right now. They are currently trying to increase renewable energy production in 2017 with offshore wind farms.
Promoting Alternative Energy Sources
Google has become a shining example of a green company. Investing in renewable energy helps save operational expenses, but that’s not the bottom line. Google’s support of alternative energy aims to promote environmental change through corporate innovation.
Find more articles about the tech industry today.
- 10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Own a Multimeter
- 5 Automation Devices for Modern Garage Doors
- 7 Best Air Fryers to Try Out
- The Best Wearable Technology of 2017 & What’s To Come In the Future
- The 7 Best Medical Apps You Need In Your LifeDid you ever think you could use your smartphone as a […]
- 5 Social Media Stocks to Buy NowAre you a complete newbie to investing? Start with the products and services you know and love. Here are the five hottest social media stocks to buy right now.
- 10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Own a MultimeterIf you are stocking up your toolkit, you shouldn't forget the multimeter! Check out this article for 10 reasons why everyone should own a multimeter!
- How to Store Your e-LiquidYou may think you’re a vaping expert. But […]
- Manual: 10 Signs Of an AlcoholicAre you wondering if you or someone you love is an […]
- 5 Reasons Mormon Mothers are Turning to Pain Killer PillsYou’ve heard about the continued Opioid Crisis […]
- Top 10 Tips for Your Nursing ResumeThe world needs more nurses like you, and you know it. […]
- 7 Meditation Techniques For Reducing Daily StressBattling stress can be made much easier by using the […]
You May Also Like…
- The 7 Best Writing Apps to Download in 2018
- 5 Training Tips for Student Pilots
- How to Start Your Online Boutique Today
- 7 Cloud Computing Trends You Need To Know In 2018
- 5 Unforgettable Things to Do in Clearwater Beach, Florida
- How to Choose the Right Essential Oil Diffuser
- Top 10 Best Downloadable Web Design Software
- 8 Tips for Digital Marketing for Construction Companies
- Top 10 Tips for Planning a Small Wedding
- 4 Helpful Dental Apps You Need to Know About
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Featured Articles
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Private Investigator
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion