Why Is Everyone Nostalgic for 90s Electronics?
90’s nostalgia is a hit on the internet. People pine for classic Nicktoons like Rocko’s Modern Life to return, high school kids think it’s cool to like 90’s music, and the entire Sega Genesis catalog is being made available for iPhones and Androids.
People are even nostalgic for not-so-good 90’s movies like Space Jam.
But why are 90’s tech gadgets becoming such a point of obsession?
It’s an interesting question: no matter how cool a decade is, tech is supposed to get continuously better. Is there really a reason for this explosion? We decided to find out.
The tech world’s tendency to overpromise and underdeliver may be best embodied by Nintendo’s early experiment with VR, the Virtual Boy. The device offered incredibly immersive 3D if the user could forget that the entire thing was in black and white and the device could cause headaches.
What was most bizarre about the Virtual Boy was Nintendo’s attempts to market it as “portable” when the device was clearly bulky and difficult to use.
Other tech devices became classics frozen in time. Think of the Walkman, Gameboy, and Playstation. Each device shaped the technology of its time and was incredibly common.
90’s tech was about experimentation and growth. There were some spectacular failures, in the form of overpriced early smartphones and bulky early tablets. The Virtual Boy, in particular, was exceptional in its failures.
There were other devices that were able to change the face of technology by influencing a generation of innovators to reach for the stars.
Today’s tech industry remains focused on creating highly polished apps and devices. There’s more consolidation in the industry, with iPhones being 30 percent of smartphones owned in the US.
We’re also seeing the results of 90’s era experimentation benefiting today’s consumers. This decade’s been defined by the birth of the iPhone, and smart devices have reached the point that we’re here debating smart TVs and refrigerators.
We also see many innovations ahead. Virtual and augmented reality headsets are just beginning to gain ground and wearable technology has become a lot more accessible. It’s clear we’ve gotten far away from the days of the Virtual Boy.
So why are we obsessed with 90’s technology today?
The answer is influence and imagination, mixed with good old-fashioned nostalgia for childhood.
Those in their 20’s and 30’s had their childhood defined by 90’s technology. Things like the Walkman, Gameboy, and Sega Genesis provided formative childhood memories for a generation of emerging adults.
They’ve also seen the groundwork of today’s tech built up from their youthful interests. The same spectacular ambitions that lead to failure or at the very least inaccessibility in the 1990’s lead to success today.
These devices might not have had the best hardware or software, but they certainly shaped our world.
- 10 Best Garage Door Apps of 2017
- 8 Coolest Home Security Gadgets to Keep Your Family Safe
- Top 5 SMS Apps for Android
- 10 Interior Design Apps That Will Make Your Life Easier
- 15 Rustic Kitchen Decor IdeasAre you looking to give your kitchen a rustic makeover, but not sure where to start? Here are 15 rustic kitchen decor ideas for inspiration.
- 10 Mistakes When Setting Up a WebsiteAre you looking to set up a website for your business? Read our website 101 guide to learn the 10 mistakes people make when setting up a site.
- How to Prepare For Your First Trip to a Shooting RangeGoing to the shooting range for the first time can be extremely nerve wracking. Being prepared is essential. Here's what to expect your first time.
- 10 Best Law Apps for Law School StudentsMobile apps are great ways for law school students to expand their methods of studying. Here you'll find the 10 best law apps for law school students.
- The 10 Best Places to Swim With Clear WaterIf you dream of relaxing in clear, blue water then don't miss this article. Click here to discover the 10 best places to swim with clear water.
- 8 Ways You Benefit From Selling Vape Products OnlineHave you thought of what your vape business gains by creating an online store? Here's how joining the digital world and selling vape products online helps you.
- 10 Best Garage Door Apps of 2017Hate when you can't remember whether you closed the garage door or not? With a garage door app, that worry will be a thing of the past! Check out our top picks.
- 8 Home Improvement Apps for iOS and AndroidHaving some issues with your home renovation project? You might want to check out and download the top 8 home improvement apps for iOS and Android.
- What To Do if Your Car Breaks DownYour car breaks down and you have no idea what to do. Don't panic. Instead, read this article to learn everything you need to do in this situation.
- The 8 Best Real Estate Apps For House HuntersAre you looking for a home and need to get housing information fast and on the go? Read here for our list of the 8 best real estate apps for house hunters.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion