8 Easy Steps to Make an Amazing Recycled Hummingbird Feeder
Summer is time for making memories with those you love.
It can also be a time for life lessons that your child will carry with him or her into adulthood. Among them:
- The importance of sustainable living
- Appreciating nature
- Using his/her hands to build things
- Valuing time with family
- Working together (for siblings or friends)
Those hummingbirds move fast, so let’s not delay learning how to make a recycled hummingbird feeder.
What You’ll Need
An Empty Bottle
You can use glass or plastic. If your kids are younger, plastic is likely your best option to avoid dangerous breaks.
Look for a bottle with interesting features your child can decorate. And, to keep in line with the purpose of recycling, don’t buy a bottle just make your feeder. Reuse something.
Here are some to consider from the ordinary to the unique:
- Sports drink bottle
- Olive oil or alcoholic beverage bottle
- Wine bottle
- Water bottle
- Hot sauce bottle
- Test tube
- Spice jar
Plus you’ll need:
- A cap – Look for a cap similar to a cap off of cooking spray, spray paint or something of the like.
- A screw on cap, a little smaller that fits your bottle snugly
- Sandpaper (optional)
- Spray paint (optional)
- Very sharp scalpel or craft knife (for your use only)
- Glue gun
- Tweezers or needle nose pliers
- Beads or other decorations (optional)
- Screwdriver or drill
- String or rope for hanging
- Eye protection – Rarely drills can throw plastic shrapnel into the air. Sunglasses or prescriptions glasses should suffice.
Making Your Recycled Bird Feeder
Choose appropriate attire. You and your child will be working with paint and glue so choose kids clothes that are comfortable and okay to get messy.
Cut out the middle of smaller cap. The safest way to do this is to poke holes in it with the drill or screwdriver. And then punch the middle out. It doesn’t have to look pretty. This piece goes on the inside.
Very carefully cut around the larger cap to shorten it to about 1.5 -2 inches tall.
Warm up the hot glue gun. For those of you, who are new to crafting, hot glue guns work best because the hot glue bonds better to the materials and dries very fast creating a strong bond.
Borrow one from one of your crafting friends if you don’t own one.
For very small children, please note that glue guns and the glue that comes out can burn skin.
Use tweezers or needle nose pliers to place the smaller cap inside the large one without allowing the cap to touch on either side or underneath.
With glue dots from your gun, create little bridges between the little cap and the big cap. The goal is to hold the little cap in place without completely blocking the flow of liquid from one cap to the next. Let the glue dry, which takes less than a minute before you can let go. But wait another 10 before screwing the cap on to be sure it’s dry.
Careful not to get glue inside the little cap or the cap won’t fit the bottle.
Remove any labels from the bottle and clean thoroughly.
Step 6 (optional)
If the bottle is plastic, rub sandpaper around it before you paint so that that paint will stick.
Paint the bottle. Let it dry.
Decorate the bottle. Use the hot glue again to attach foam flowers, string or beads as desired. Get creative and whimsical. Hummingbirds are drawn to red, so use as much red as possible. Let everything dry.
Add humming bird solution, which can be made with sugar and water. Avoid food coloring, which can be harmful.
Screw on the cap and hang the feeder upside down in a tree.
- These Are the Types of Blogs You Should Be Writing
- 5 Interior Design Apps That Will Help You Remodel
- 5 Foolproof Photoshoot Poses
- The 5 Best Investment Apps to Download to Your iPhone
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion