7 Graphic Design Trends You Need To Know
Graphic designs trends are not so unlike other trends. Every year ushers in a new set of them. Hot pinks replace sky blues, and brazen colors replace more subtle hues.
As a result, keeping up with all of the latest and greatest trends can get tricky. Even if we can keep up, we might not be able to incorporate new trends into our designs as quickly as we’d like to.
Fortunately, there are those amongst us who take the time to put together nifty lists of some of the latest trends.
And – wouldn’t you know it – you’re reading one of those lists right now. Continue reading for 7 graphic design trends you’ll need to know this year.
Once upon a time, we could use stock images to our hearts’ content. They made plenty of lives easier.
So much so that you’d often the same stock image in someone else’s design.
Times, however, have changed. People are no longer fond of boring old stock images. They want something authentic. Consequently, you’re going to have to put in a little extra work this year.
Which means that you’re going to have to put in a little extra work this year.
Personal drawings and original photos are a must in the world of graphic design today. As a matter of fact, we’d wager that this trend, unlike some the other graphic design trends we’ve listed, is here to stay.
Needless to say, though, there are plenty of people who have had success with stock photos. There are several sites which offer high-quality stock images.
That said, if you must use stock images, don’t completely rely on them. Take the time to create some images of your own as well.
Who doesn’t love a good GIF nowadays? You can find them on your favorite social media sites and multiple other platforms, yet you never tire of them. There is literally a GIF for almost every situation and feeling.
And if the GIF you’re looking for doesn’t exist, you can make it.
As a graphic designer, you can leverage this love of GIFS. Just consider including one or two in your next design.
Apparently, “doing the most” is not trendy this year. People are moving away from busy designs and choosing minimalist designs, and people are loving it.
So how can you have a little fun with this trend this year?
Try simple logos and palettes. You might even consider playing around with the spatial relationships between the elements of your design. There are also tons of other tips that can enhance your minimal designs.
Don’t be tempted to add tons of elements to your design. There is no need to do so since minimalism speaks for itself.
As far as graphic design trends go, we’d like to think that prioritizing user experience has always been hip. Regardless of whether or not that’s the case, user experience is definitely hip this year.
And for good reason.
According to Goran Paunovic, “every dollar invested in UX returns $10 to $100.” The amount you stand to save should be reason enough for you consider prioritizing it.
You can start by doing away with much of your designs’ complexity and opting for simplicity. Customers should be able to navigate your design easily. Of course, we don’t want you thinking that you must sacrifice the visual appeal of your design to improve UX.
We also don’t want you to think that you have to compromise on security. Data breaches don’t, after all, make for user-friendly experiences. They can also get you into some legal trouble.
You’re a graphic designer. You excel at making things look pretty while (hopefully) maintaining their functionality. Storytelling might not be your strong point.
In any case, storytelling is becoming immensely important. People want more out of a design than the visual appeal these days. They want a story, and not necessarily in the form of words.
You should be able to arrange your images in order to make people who view them feel something. Whatever they happen to feel should keep them coming back for more.
Perhaps your images could share a theme. Maybe they could be sequential and tell an actual story. Maybe they could all be interpretations of each other.
There are so many ways to incorporate a great story into your designs. Don’t shy away from storytelling. It’ll give your designs more dimensions.
We’re not sure what it is about geometric designs that make them so popular. Is it the circles? The squares or trapezoids?
Perhaps it’s n-gons?
On a more serious note, graphic designs take everyday shapes and turn them into something eye-catching. Imagine staring into an image and feeling as if you’re falling into it. How about feeling as if the image itself is moving?
Those feelings keep people staring at your designs for seconds as they try to decipher them. As an added bonus for you, they’re fairly simple undertakings for designers.
Blasts from the pasts are apparently trendy again. Of course, we can’t pretend to be surprised. They go in and out of style quite frequently.
So which decades have been getting the most love lately?
Word has it that the eighties have been a popular source of inspiration.
Why, however, stop with the eighties? You have plenty of decades to choose from. There is no reason to limit your inspiration to one or two periods.
If you’re interested in vintage, though, make sure you do your homework. You don’t just want something that looks good. You want something that really captures the spirit of the period which inspired the design.
Stay On Top of Graphic Design Trends This Year
We’re not sure about you guys, but we think that this year’s graphic design trends look promising. From fewer stock photos to vintage designs, designs are sure to produce some awesome work in 2017.
And, yes, that includes you, my friend.
If the trends on this list haven’t inspired your next design, though, all hope is not lost. You’re welcome to take a look around our marketplace. It’s full of affordable graphics that can help you take your designs the next level.
- How to Combat Slow Download Speeds
- 10 Mistakes When Setting Up a Website
- Blogger Hosting Hacks: How to Choose the Best One for You
- 5 Advantages of Hiring a Web Design Service
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion