5 Tips to Keep the Dog Off the Couch
Dogs: they’re adorable, loving, loyal, and just flat out wonderful animals.
They’re also dirty, hairy, slobbery, and even smelly.
Many people aren’t going to want the latter adjectives all over their couches. Everyone loves their dogs, but that doesn’t mean they want to lay in their dog’s filth.
Keeping animals off the furniture can be a tricky endeavor, however. To help you, here are 5 tips to help keep your couch dog-free.
1. Start ‘Em Young
The best and easiest way to make sure your furry friend will stay off of his human’s couch is to make sure he or she knows its off limits from the time they a brought home.
When a puppy is brought home, be sure to take precaution where you cuddle and play with him.
While it may be comfier for you to love and pet your new puppy on the couch, petting and playing on the floor will help you lay the groundwork and establish, right away, that the couch isn’t for dogs.
2. Make Them Want To Lay On The Floor
Of course dogs are going to want to jump up and sleep on the soft, squishy couch with their owners.
It’s your job to make them willfully choose to lay on the floor or in their own doggy beds. Make sure to do this through positive reinforcement and rewards.
Regularly lead them to their beds or floor and reward them with treats.
3. Reward The Good But Don’t Punish The Bad
Training a dog isn’t an easy task and it isn’t for the impatient. It will take lots of hours and lots of work.
When your dog starts approaching the couch or looks ready to jump up on, toss a treat away from the couch. Pet them, and again reinforce that they did the right thing by moving away from the couch.
Inevitably, your pup isn’t always going to listen to you. They’re going to go rogue and jump on the sofa.
Don’t punish them. Negative reinforcements and too much punishment will only bring about a new set of behavioral and psychological problems for your dog. It’s okay to be stern with them, however.
Don’t use any kind of scat mat, and never strike them when they get on the couch. Just be calm, cool and collected. Above all, be firm. It’s tough love time!
4. Not Home? No Worries!
When you leave the house and there is no one to keep and eye on your pet, it’s mighty easy for them to jump up on the couch and you can’t do anything about it.
So, you need to do something about it before you set foot out of the house.
Wooden dog kennels give you a place to keep your pet until you return for your trip. Or, if you prefer to keep your dog out of a kennel, you can simply use a baby/dog gate to keep them from going into a specific room.
There are even certain products designed specifically to keep pets off furniture, or you can save your money and just put a clothes basket on top of the seat.
5. Be Consistent
Like with anything in life, consistency is key.
Make sure that everyone who comes over is aware of your “No Furniture” policy.
Friends, family, babysitters, etc. should all know that you don’t want your dog to dirty up your couch. No matter how good of a boy or girl they may be, people in the home need to know the dog isn’t allowed up there.
The same goes for you. Cuddling up with your dog on the couch late at night might just sound so pleasant to you, but you set the rule and need to live by it as well.
If you aren’t steadfast and consistent it will lead to confusion in your dog and can undo the training you’ve spent so much time on.
Use These Tips To Keep Your Couch Pet-Free
Your dog will hopefully be in your home for a very long time, and they are going to feel just like another member of your family, but they are still a goofy, messy, animal that can’t wash its own paws.
So if you are afraid they’ll mess up that new couch, help train your doggy with the tips you learned here!
- The Top 10 Dogs Apps for Pet Owners
- How to Make the Best Dog Snacks Yourself
- Why a Folding Dog Crate is a Great Option for Your Large Dog
- A Guide to Pesky Bugs in Washington
- How to Design a Mobile App for Your Business without Writing CodeIs your business in need of an app to go to the next […]
- 4 Ways Hemp Oil Will Improve Your LifeStudies have shown the powerful effects of cannabidiol […]
- What You Should Know Before You Buy CBD Oil OnlineBy 2020, the cannabis (CBD) market could be worth over […]
- Why It’s Important to Perform a Drug and Alcohol Test Before HiringIt’s a fact that drug use in the workplace […]
- How To Dress Like the Celebs in 2018It may feel impossible to dress like the celebs and […]
- Yes, You Have to Pay for That: Why People Buy and Sell Digital DownloadsFrom video games to apps to ebooks to music and […]
- CBD Lotion: Benefits and Best PracticesDoes your body suffer from frequent aches and pains? […]
- What’s the Best Calorie Counter App?Whether you're looking to lose weight or improve your health, a calorie counter app can help keep you on track. Click here to learn more.
You May Also Like…
- The 7 Best Writing Apps to Download in 2018
- 5 Training Tips for Student Pilots
- How to Start Your Online Boutique Today
- 7 Cloud Computing Trends You Need To Know In 2018
- 5 Unforgettable Things to Do in Clearwater Beach, Florida
- How to Choose the Right Essential Oil Diffuser
- Top 10 Best Downloadable Web Design Software
- 8 Tips for Digital Marketing for Construction Companies
- Top 10 Tips for Planning a Small Wedding
- 4 Helpful Dental Apps You Need to Know About
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Featured Articles
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Private Investigator
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion