5 Signs You May Be Walking on Asbestos Floor Tiles
Although asbestos use is at an all-time low in the United States, did you know it’s estimated that over a million workers are still exposed to its harmful effects?
Asbestos can be found in many areas including walls, pipes, and flooring. It can be also found in paint and insulation. There is a high chance that at least something was constructed with asbestos in your home if it was built during certain years.
Are you concerned you may have asbestos in your house? Continue reading below for five signs that you may be walking on asbestos floor tiles.
1. Know Your Construction Year
Be especially wary if your house was built during or before the 1980’s. This is because homes built during time would commonly be built using many materials that contained asbestos.
This could include walls, ceilings, and insulation. Certain pipe products like cement were also known to have asbestos. This information is important to know as asbestos exposure can lead to mesothelioma cancer.
2. Asbestos Floor Tiles — A Large Concern
You could be walking on floor tiles that have asbestos in them without even knowing it. Unfortunately, you can not usually see asbestos, as the particles are too small. You should look for classic warning signs.
Make sure to be wary of flooring tiles with nine by nine inches patterns. Most floor tiles of this size used asbestos.
3. Questionable Fireproofing Material
Because asbestos insulation had fireproof qualities, gray or white asbestos was widely used as insulation for pipes and on the fittings. White asbestos tape was also commonly used on house pipes.
If you see any white tape on your ducts, don’t immediately worry. It likely will not cause any issues unless it is disturbed.
4. Check Over Your Head
Old homes can sometimes have textured ceilings. Think those popcorn ceilings that were once all the rage. While not all popcorn ceilings are dangerous, many textured ceilings in older houses used materials containing asbestos.
Take care when cleaning around a textured ceiling until you have it tested.
5. Other Signs of Disturbed Asbestos
As mentioned, you can not readily see asbestos. Instead, pay attention to disintegrating pipes and insulation. Be mindful of excessively worn walls, tile, and stovetop pads.
Plan to keep a close eye on anything that has been in the house since when it was built. Keep a lookout for any dirty or dusty areas. Cracks or spots that look like they are breaking down are also a concern.
What To Do if You Find Asbestos
If you have found asbestos floor tiles or other problem areas, don’t do anything. Asbestos isn’t dangerous when it’s still in good condition, but when it starts to break down and the fibers are released into the air, it becomes toxic.
When cleaning, avoid disturbing areas where possible asbestos is. Do not scrub any surface you suspect could be harmful.
When in doubt, consider getting any suspicious material looked at a professional. Price ranges can vary depending on location and scope of the problem. If it is difficult to collect samples, be prepared to pay more.
Properly handling asbestos can be important in preparing to sell your house.
Now you should be able to tell if you are being exposed to asbestos floor tiles or harmful walls.
Looking for other home repair and remodeling guides? Visit our site today!
- How to Choose the Best Kitchen Appliances
- 5 Home Improvement Apps for DIYers
- 10 Best Sites To Go Furniture Shopping Online
- The Benefits of Using Portable Solar Panels
- The 7 Best Medical Apps You Need In Your LifeDid you ever think you could use your smartphone as a […]
- 5 Social Media Stocks to Buy NowAre you a complete newbie to investing? Start with the products and services you know and love. Here are the five hottest social media stocks to buy right now.
- 10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Own a MultimeterIf you are stocking up your toolkit, you shouldn't forget the multimeter! Check out this article for 10 reasons why everyone should own a multimeter!
- How to Store Your e-LiquidYou may think you’re a vaping expert. But […]
- Manual: 10 Signs Of an AlcoholicAre you wondering if you or someone you love is an […]
- 5 Reasons Mormon Mothers are Turning to Pain Killer PillsYou’ve heard about the continued Opioid Crisis […]
- Top 10 Tips for Your Nursing ResumeThe world needs more nurses like you, and you know it. […]
- 7 Meditation Techniques For Reducing Daily StressBattling stress can be made much easier by using the […]
You May Also Like…
- The 7 Best Writing Apps to Download in 2018
- 5 Training Tips for Student Pilots
- How to Start Your Online Boutique Today
- 7 Cloud Computing Trends You Need To Know In 2018
- 5 Unforgettable Things to Do in Clearwater Beach, Florida
- How to Choose the Right Essential Oil Diffuser
- Top 10 Best Downloadable Web Design Software
- 8 Tips for Digital Marketing for Construction Companies
- Top 10 Tips for Planning a Small Wedding
- 4 Helpful Dental Apps You Need to Know About
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Featured Articles
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Private Investigator
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion