5 Home Improvement Apps for DIYers
Remodeling the house is a mammoth task. And if it’s left up to contractors and builders, you could spend a huge amount of money.
But how about you “do it yourself”?
In fact, statistics say that only 41% of the population would leave it to the professionals, whereas over half of you feel confident enough to give it a go yourselves.
But doing it yourself means you’ve got to plan, design, get the right tools and supplies and more!
But before you rush down to the local hardware shop, first visit a virtual store! Yes, use your smartphone, whether it’s Google Play Store or the App Store and check out their cool DIY apps!
Keep reading for five home improvement apps that will assist you with your next DIY project.
Home Improvement Apps
Okay, so you’ve all heard of Pinterest (for inspiration) and YouTube (for “how to” videos) but there are several other apps that can help you with very specific tasks.
For example, you can:
- Find the perfect color scheme
- Get inspired by decorating ideas
- Calculate the number of tiles needed
- Measure a space
- Rearrange your furniture virtually
- Hang pictures or mirrors with a digital level
These next five home improvement apps are all unique and useful in their own way. Most are free or cheap, so don’t be shy to download them and test them out for yourself.
1. Home Design 3D
This app allows you to build a 3D model of your home so you can visualize what your home improvement project will look like. Many professional companies actually use similar software when they are designing a home.
You can basically design it to look any way you want. With a database of over 1000 items, you can even furnish and accessorize your virtual home.
Using this app can also help you to iron out any issues before you start demolishing things!
Available for iOS and Android. And it’s free! But can be upgraded to a premium version for those hardcore DIYers!
There are many other similar home improvement apps, some free and some available in a range of prices. For example, Magic Plan and Adornably are both excellent apps for designing your home, giving you the chance to try before you buy!
ColorSnap is an extremely useful app that can help you pick the perfect color for your home.
They have a huge selection of colors to choose from. The app features a photo color matcher, paint previewer and you can even create your own color palette.
The purpose is to help you to digitally test your color scheme ideas without wasting time painting and repainting until you’ve got it right. It’ll save you a lot of time and energy in the long run.
Available for iOS and Android. It’s free! Yay!
Other similar apps include TapPainter and Project Colour, which both have similar features of giving you the opportunity to play with colors before you grab a paintbrush.
3. iHandy Carpenter
This app allows you to turn your smartphone into a carpentry toolkit! It really lives up to its name, as your phone is totally handy and small compared to dragging around a load of bulky tools.
The app includes a ruler, surface level, steel protractor, bubble level bar and plumb bob, all useful carpentry tools.
Available for iOS and Android. Can be purchased for $1.99.
Another practical carpentry app is The Woodshop Widget, which is available only for iOS at $3.99. It includes a helpful collection of calculators and converters specifically designed for woodworking projects. A cool feature of the app is that it can estimate how different kinds of wood can expand or shrink under different conditions.
Just like Wikipedia, but tailored especially for DIY. Wikihow contains thousands of how-to guides. From quick repairs to major DIY, Wikihow has got it all.
Wikihow completes its instructions with illustrations and videos. You can browse and search categories, bookmark specific how-to’s for offline reading and keep up with their featured articles.
This handy app also includes smaller DIY or craft projects, so you can finish off your decor nicely. Another useful feature (only currently for iOS) is the inclusion of first aid tips, which might be useful for those common DIY accidents!
Available for iOS and Android. Another freebie!
DIY Tip Genious app is also full of great DIY advice. From helpful techniques and professional guides to random household tips, it’s a helpful source to have when it comes to home projects.
5. Pro Landscape Home
Many DIYers put loads of time and effort into designing the interior, but what about the exterior?
The Pro Landscape Home app is similar to interior design apps, such as Home Design 3D mentioned above, but it focuses on the exterior of your home. You can take a photo of your backyard and then start designing your outdoor space.
There are thousands of shrubs, trees, flowers and garden accessories to choose from. Even extra features such as a fire pit or patio set are available.
You can add your chosen plants and accessories into your virtual backyard to visualize what your newly landscaped garden will look like. A cool feature this app includes is, if you tell the app your location it will help to choose plants and flowers that will thrive in your climate!
Available for iOS and Android. And again, it’s free as a bird!
There are a few more apps with similar features, such as PRO Landscape Companion, that can also help you to visualize your dream garden!
Leave It to the Professionals
Yes, these apps are super cool and can help you to be successful in your DIY projects. But sometimes it’s best to leave it up to the professionals.
Your phone continues to help though! Through several apps, you can view most major hardware store chains or professional builders in your area.
This is especially helpful if something goes wrong or if it’s something you can’t fix alone.
For example, a blocked drain. You can use different kinds of chemicals or a plunger for a while, but if it’s a consistent problem, only a professional plumber can solve the issue. Dr. Drip Plumbing professionals are well equipped to handle a blocked shower drain, check out their page for more information.
A New World of Technology
As you can see, technology is advancing more than ever before. Your smartphone isn’t just for sharing photos online anymore. It can really help practically, especially with these home improvement apps!
While your phone can’t replace a full set of physical tools, it can help you to design, measure, calculate, order and find qualified professionals!
For more DIY hacks, check out our blog.
- How to Choose the Best Kitchen Appliances
- 10 Best Sites To Go Furniture Shopping Online
- The Benefits of Using Portable Solar Panels
- 9 Reasons Why You Need an Air Purifier
- 8 Fashion Apps You Need To Download NowDo you like to keep up-to-date with the latest fashion trends? Here are the 8 fashion apps you need to download now to inspire your newest look.
- The Ultimate Guide to Content for Your Parenting BlogDo you have a case of writer's block with your parenting blog? Check out this guide so that you will never run out of ideas again.
- 8 Sexy Apps You Need To Download NowAre you feeling a little frisky, but find yourself sitting on your couch with nothing to do? Check out these 8 sexy apps you need to download now!
- The Best Dating Apps for Divorced SinglesYou said goodbye to your former spouse a while ago, […]
- Essential Tips for Customer Service OutsourcingCustomer service outsourcing is an ongoing debate for […]
- The 7 Best Medical Apps You Need In Your LifeDid you ever think you could use your smartphone as a […]
- 5 Social Media Stocks to Buy NowAre you a complete newbie to investing? Start with the products and services you know and love. Here are the five hottest social media stocks to buy right now.
- 10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Own a MultimeterIf you are stocking up your toolkit, you shouldn't forget the multimeter! Check out this article for 10 reasons why everyone should own a multimeter!
You May Also Like…
- The 7 Best Writing Apps to Download in 2018
- 5 Training Tips for Student Pilots
- How to Start Your Online Boutique Today
- 7 Cloud Computing Trends You Need To Know In 2018
- 5 Unforgettable Things to Do in Clearwater Beach, Florida
- How to Choose the Right Essential Oil Diffuser
- Top 10 Best Downloadable Web Design Software
- 8 Tips for Digital Marketing for Construction Companies
- Top 10 Tips for Planning a Small Wedding
- 4 Helpful Dental Apps You Need to Know About
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Featured Articles
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Private Investigator
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion