The 5 Essential Pieces of Bike Safety Equipment All Bikers Need
It’s an unfortunate fact that bicycling can be dangerous. In 2015, 818 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles. The good news is there’s a lot you can do to protect yourself when you’re biking.
Having the right safety equipment can go a long way to preventing serious injury. Bicycle helmets and other safety equipment reduce crash-related injuries and deaths, especially among children.
Here are five essential pieces of bike safety equipment that you need to prevent harm on the road.
A Bicycle Helmet
A helmet is one of the best ways to prevent injury when riding a bike. It’s important to choose a helmet that fits properly and to wear it every time you bike.
The foam in a helmet gets crushed when the helmet protects your head. This cushions the blow and protects your brain. The outside of the helmet is made to slide on the ground instead of gripping it, which can protect your neck. Of course, the damage to the foam means that you should never reuse a helmet that has been in a bad crash.
Many bike riders understand the need for visibility lights when it’s dark outside, but they are also important near dusk and even during the day. Lights catch drivers’ attention and cause them to notice you at every time of day.
There are a lot of options available, including Fenix lights which can help your bike be more visible. Lights can also help you see at night; the way headlights do on a car.
A Loud Bike Horn
Although drivers are piloting a 4,000-pound machine, they aren’t always paying attention. They may be eating, talking to passengers, listening to music, or simply daydreaming.
Also, a bicycle doesn’t fit the visual profile of a vehicle that drivers watch for. One of the reasons that there are so many accidents with bikes is that drivers aren’t used to seeing them on the road. As a result, a loud bike horn can make a big difference. You can use it to signal alarm and to let drivers know you’re there.
A Wireless Turn Signal
While you as a bicyclist may know how to signal turns with your arm, it’s likely that drivers won’t quite know what you’re trying to say. Instead, choose a safety device that everyone is already familiar with: digital turn signals.
You can easily purchase wireless devices that allow you to indicate a right or left turn using lighted arrows that are similar to vehicle turn signals. You can use buttons to signal turns without taking your hands off the handlebars, which increases your safety as well.
A Camera on Your Bicycle
Hopefully you’re never in an accident with a car, but if you are, you may need documentation of what happened. A discreet easily-mounted rear camera attached to your bike can be the help you need.
Some models have a variety of functions. They can serve as a taillight, records what’s going on behind you, and can capture the license plate number of an aggressive or careless driver.
Being safe on the road isn’t hard when you have the right equipment. By using these five essential pieces of bike safety gear, you’ll help prevent accidents and injuries to both you and the drivers around you.
- Top 5 Diving Apps
- How to Prepare For Your First Trip to a Shooting Range
- Muscle Building Gear and Accessories to Boost Your Workout
- This Guy Made Over $1,200 in 12 Days With Betting Software
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion