The 5 Essential Pieces of Bike Safety Equipment All Bikers Need
It’s an unfortunate fact that bicycling can be dangerous. In 2015, 818 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles. The good news is there’s a lot you can do to protect yourself when you’re biking.
Having the right safety equipment can go a long way to preventing serious injury. Bicycle helmets and other safety equipment reduce crash-related injuries and deaths, especially among children.
Here are five essential pieces of bike safety equipment that you need to prevent harm on the road.
A Bicycle Helmet
A helmet is one of the best ways to prevent injury when riding a bike. It’s important to choose a helmet that fits properly and to wear it every time you bike.
The foam in a helmet gets crushed when the helmet protects your head. This cushions the blow and protects your brain. The outside of the helmet is made to slide on the ground instead of gripping it, which can protect your neck. Of course, the damage to the foam means that you should never reuse a helmet that has been in a bad crash.
Many bike riders understand the need for visibility lights when it’s dark outside, but they are also important near dusk and even during the day. Lights catch drivers’ attention and cause them to notice you at every time of day.
There are a lot of options available, including Fenix lights which can help your bike be more visible. Lights can also help you see at night; the way headlights do on a car.
A Loud Bike Horn
Although drivers are piloting a 4,000-pound machine, they aren’t always paying attention. They may be eating, talking to passengers, listening to music, or simply daydreaming.
Also, a bicycle doesn’t fit the visual profile of a vehicle that drivers watch for. One of the reasons that there are so many accidents with bikes is that drivers aren’t used to seeing them on the road. As a result, a loud bike horn can make a big difference. You can use it to signal alarm and to let drivers know you’re there.
A Wireless Turn Signal
While you as a bicyclist may know how to signal turns with your arm, it’s likely that drivers won’t quite know what you’re trying to say. Instead, choose a safety device that everyone is already familiar with: digital turn signals.
You can easily purchase wireless devices that allow you to indicate a right or left turn using lighted arrows that are similar to vehicle turn signals. You can use buttons to signal turns without taking your hands off the handlebars, which increases your safety as well.
A Camera on Your Bicycle
Hopefully you’re never in an accident with a car, but if you are, you may need documentation of what happened. A discreet easily-mounted rear camera attached to your bike can be the help you need.
Some models have a variety of functions. They can serve as a taillight, records what’s going on behind you, and can capture the license plate number of an aggressive or careless driver.
Being safe on the road isn’t hard when you have the right equipment. By using these five essential pieces of bike safety gear, you’ll help prevent accidents and injuries to both you and the drivers around you.
- Essential Hunting Stuff That Every Badass Hunter Needs
- Top 5 Diving Apps
- How to Prepare For Your First Trip to a Shooting Range
- Muscle Building Gear and Accessories to Boost Your Workout
- How to Design a Mobile App for Your Business without Writing CodeIs your business in need of an app to go to the next […]
- 4 Ways Hemp Oil Will Improve Your LifeStudies have shown the powerful effects of cannabidiol […]
- What You Should Know Before You Buy CBD Oil OnlineBy 2020, the cannabis (CBD) market could be worth over […]
- Why It’s Important to Perform a Drug and Alcohol Test Before HiringIt’s a fact that drug use in the workplace […]
- How To Dress Like the Celebs in 2018It may feel impossible to dress like the celebs and […]
- Yes, You Have to Pay for That: Why People Buy and Sell Digital DownloadsFrom video games to apps to ebooks to music and […]
- CBD Lotion: Benefits and Best PracticesDoes your body suffer from frequent aches and pains? […]
- What’s the Best Calorie Counter App?Whether you're looking to lose weight or improve your health, a calorie counter app can help keep you on track. Click here to learn more.
You May Also Like…
- The 7 Best Writing Apps to Download in 2018
- 5 Training Tips for Student Pilots
- How to Start Your Online Boutique Today
- 7 Cloud Computing Trends You Need To Know In 2018
- 5 Unforgettable Things to Do in Clearwater Beach, Florida
- How to Choose the Right Essential Oil Diffuser
- Top 10 Best Downloadable Web Design Software
- 8 Tips for Digital Marketing for Construction Companies
- Top 10 Tips for Planning a Small Wedding
- 4 Helpful Dental Apps You Need to Know About
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Featured Articles
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Private Investigator
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion