5 Accounting Steps Every Small Business Owner Should Take
Owning a small business is no easy task, especially when it comes to the finances and accounting.
Even great businesses can struggle if proper accounting steps are not taken.
Here are 5 accounting steps to set a small business up for success.
1. Record your expenses
It is extremely important to keep track of all of a small business’ expenses.
This will not only help track the business’ spending, but it is also crucial in order to claim certain tax deductions.
Keep track of receipts, travel expenses, bank statements, credit cards, tax returns, W2 forms, 1099 forms, and any other record of spending.
2. Stay organized
It’s not hard to see that keeping track of all of these forms will result in a lot of paper, documents, and records, which can result in clutter and confusion.
But there’s no point of keeping all of these documents if they aren’t properly organized and easy to sort through when needed.
Keep your documents neatly filed and organized in a specific area, whether that’s in a certain office of the business, scanned and stored digitally, or online.
3. Understand taxes (before they’re due!)
All of these records will come in handy when tax season rolls around.
Without these records, even a professional accountant would have a hard time helping to file.
It is also important to understand what taxes different small businesses will owe, as it varies depending on the type of organization.
Is the owner self-employed? The head of an LLC? How much do they earn? Or is the business a corporation? How much does the company earn?
It’s important to know the answers to these questions, as they will affect how the business will be taxed.
4. Separate the business from the personal
Many small businesses begin with one person’s personal idea and passion.
But as they start the business, it is important to separate their personal checking account from the business’.
This allows for a clear understanding of what is a business expense versus a personal expense, which was mentioned earlier to be important for taxes and money management.
Separating the accounts will save time and money in the long run.
When opening the business account, it is important to carefully consider which bank to go to: What fees might they charge? What type of account is best for the business? Is there a minimum balance?
5. Hire a professional
A lot of this can seem overwhelming and confusing. That’s why it can be helpful to hire a professional accountant.
A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) or a small business accountant with another similar certification can help with a myriad of things to keep your outfit running:
- Cash and expense management
- Implementation of accounting organization or software
- Provide guidance and advice
- Help explain financial reports or statements.
Accounting is a crucial part of running a small business, no matter what type of business it is.
Continuously looking to improve the accounting of a small business and following these 5 accounting steps can help a small business be successful and organized.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To Download
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation Management
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand Noticed
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs Online
- How to Find the Right Digital Marketing AgencyYou don't want to hire just any company to handle your digital marketing needs. Here you'll discover how to find the right digital marketing agency.
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Lifestyle AppsTaking care of your mind and body should be a way of life in this fast-paced world. Check out our picks for the 10 best wellness lifestyle apps you need to try.
- 5 Investment Apps Every Investor Needs To DownloadWhether you're a new investor or a seasoned veteran, there are certain tools that will make your life easier. Here are 5 investment apps every investor needs.
- 5 Incredible Uses for CBD OilThe use of CBD oil is becoming more and more popular and with the rise in popularity has come the discovery of multiple amazing uses for the oil.
- 10 Smart Home Devices and Appliances That Will Change the Way You LiveSmart home devices and appliances are revolutionizing the way we live. Check out this article about 10 of these devices to give your home a major upgrade!
- 9 Tools You Need for Online Reputation ManagementIf you find managing your brand's online reputation important, then check out this guide. Here you'll find 9 essential tools for online reputation management.
- Is Honeyfund the Way to Honeymoon Savings?Asking wedding guests to help fund the honeymoon has become somewhat of a controversial topic. Find out if it's your pathway to honeymoon savings.
- What’s the Best Free CAD Software of 2018?Made a resolution to improve your CAD skills? The best part is that you don't have to pay a dime! Here is the best free CAD software of the new year.
- 5 Creative Marketing Ideas That Will Get Your Brand NoticedTo create an unforgettable brand for your target consumer, some creative marketing is needed. Check out this article for 5 ideas that will do just that!
- Top 5 Real Estate Coaching Programs OnlineHow do you go from being an agent into a six-figure real estate pro? You need serious real estate coaching. Here are the 5 best programs to advance your career.
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion