4 Things to Know About Intellectual Property Protection
When it comes to protecting your assets, the first items you probably think of are your material possessions, such as your home and land.
These are the tangible goods that you seek to safeguard against theft and other types of infringement.
Yet, did you know there’s another type of protection designed to keep your non-tangible assets safe?
This is called intellectual property protection. It works to ensure things like your ideas, and the creative and technical products that spawn from them, are rightly attributed to you.
Today, we’re taking a look at four things you need to know about this topic. This way, you can preserve these assets as strongly as you would your real estate or other concrete property.
Ready to get started? Let’s dig in!
There are Four Types of Intellectual Property Protection
Depending on the company and circumstance, there may be up to four types of intellectual property protection. These include:
- Copyrights: Protect works of by an original author
- Patents: Protect rights to an invention
- Trademarks: Protects the characteristics that set a brand apart from its peers (symbol, design, catchphrase)
- Trade secrets: Protects exclusive processes that contribute to a brand’s success (recipes, software algorithms, business methods)
1. Registration Is Key
You may think that no one out there will steal your confidential secrets to success. Even so, it’s still important to register them in your name.
Even limited companies or those with a domain name already secured and in place can be at risk of having their intellectual property stolen.
To get started, visit the Patent and Trademark Office. Here, you’ll have access to the resources you need to protect such assets. These include patent applications, as well as trademark and logo registrations.
2. You’ll Have to Re-Register Overseas
Even after you go through the regulatory steps in the United States, your property is only protected here in America.
Yet, you may want to ensure that non-tangible assets, such as your inventor patents, are also secured in other countries overseas.
In this case, you’ll need to apply for a patent in those countries as well. Similar steps are also required when you’re applying for a trademark or copyright in foreign lands.
3. You Can Take Your Case to Court
In the event that you believe your intellectual property was compromised, you can hire signal legal experts to support your case.
When cases are taken to court, there are a few rulings that can occur. For one, an injunction can be ordered against the defendant, meaning he or she must stop the malpractice.
Additionally, the court may order repayment for monetary damages. It may also allow the infringer to enter into a license agreement with the plaintiff.
In a nutshell, under this agreement, both parties work together. The infringer continues using the intellectual property, allocating a certain percentage of payments to the original owner.
4. The Digital Age Carries New Implications
As the Internet of Things continues to grow, businesses and consumers are more connected than ever before. In fact, Gartner estimates that this year we will reach about 8.4 billion “connected things.”
Thus, it’s vitally important that in this era of digital sharing, companies safeguard their creative assets.
What does this mean for intellectual property protection?
It means that you’ll now need to take extra steps and precautions to watch over your content, especially once it’s online. From utility patents to design ones, there are myriad ways to protect your digital assets.
The U.S. Trust defines digital assets as falling into four categories. These include personal, social, financial, and business.
To get started, take a sweep of your company. Then, identify items that fall into these sectors and research steps to keep them yours.
Your Digital Download Resource: Info You Can Trust
If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Feel free to browse our helpful articles and let us know if there’s something you’d like to see. Together, we can build a more informed future!
- What You Need to Know Before Choosing Your Photography Website Builder September 19, 2017
- 5 Signs You May Be Walking on Asbestos Floor Tiles September 19, 2017
- 3 Great Hearing Aid Apps All Users Should Download September 18, 2017
- 5 Benefits of Having a Website for Your Business September 15, 2017
- 5 Benefits of Having Online Pay Stubs Available for Download September 15, 2017
- 5 Digital Marketing Apps All Marketers Should Download September 15, 2017
- The Essential Guide to Using Whitening Strips September 15, 2017
- 5 Exciting Real Estate Technology Trends on the Rise September 14, 2017
- How a Digital Communication System is Improving Healthcare September 14, 2017
- The Vending Machine Hack That Makes You Snack Healthier September 14, 2017
- Business and Finance
- Clothing and Accessories
- Computers and Internet
- Cyber Security
- Digital Downloads
- DIY (Do It Yourself)
- Food and Drinks
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- General Knowledge
- Home Improvement
- How To's
- Online Business
- Pets and Animals
- Politics and Government
- Real Estate
- Religion and Faith
- Self Improvement
- Social Media
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Leisure
- Web Design and Development
- Website Promotion