Thanks go out to Aurélien, and Brandon today for making a contributions. I hope I can get a couple more contributions before this weekends over so I can get home. I didn’t sleep much last night. So I worked on some modules I’ve been progressing along with little by little each day. This one I think people will really like. It ads the ability for a user to vote right or left along with the standard of up and down. So you could essentially have an article with the normal voting, and also allow a user to vote whether they agree or not with the author.
Then I worked on what I call my television theme. It’s a template especially designed for internet connected televisions. Which is expected to explode in 2013. Think of your site as an interactive tv channel where the viewers pick the content, not executives. There are completely different design specifications involved rather than your standard web practices. For example you can’t just use white text represented in hex as #FFFFFF on a black background because it will bleed contrast and make the text appear blurry. You have to use #00FFFF.
You also have to take into consideration the multitude of controlling devices out there. Almost every model of every brand has a different type of controller. So for this issue I’m going to overcome by using the standard arrows that 99% of remotes come with these days. Down to highlight, right to view the highlighted. Enter or Go to load the offsite url in a sliding panel that will smoothly move to the left covering 90% of the screen. Leaving the 10% of the far left of the base site. Pressing the right button again will toggle the offsite url back to the right. Now of course this all has to be responsive to the many different screen sizes out there. The whole thing is a work in progress. If anyone out there has had to do any work designing responsive media queries, you know you want to pull your hair out after about 15 minutes..
Then I worked on a module that basically turns a Pligg site into a walled garden. Meaning that you would only see stories submitted by you and your friends. So basically every users home page would be different.
I dabbled a little with my user gallery module. A tweak here, a tweak there. I’d say it’s about 95% done.
The finished product will be under it’s own tab on a users profile page once Pligg 2 comes out.
With the mobile market expanding so rapidly. I come up with new ideas several times a day. I jot down my idea, and then start laying the ground work for the module foundation. For example. Today I had a simple idea. If a user is on a mobile phone, they could shake it 3 times and it would pick a random story to show. Another idea would be that if while they are reading a story and someone else is reading the same story and votes on it, it would make the other persons phone vibrate for 1 second.
I’m also working on a way for mobile users to speak a submission instead of having to type it. I can see a lot of mobile only Pligg sites springing up. Where there won’t even be a desktop interface or a way to access the site without the use of a mobile smartphone. I’m sure that would cut down on spam.
Tune in tomorrow