Even though Pligg is an open source project free for anyone to download or contribute to, we have found there is plenty of reasons to keep some capitol available to tap into every once in a while.
One of our first thoughts would be hire professional designers and coders to take on some of the sub-projects of Pligg. Who knows, some of you might even be the one’s we’re paying for some of these projects. It would be nice to reward those who contribute the best mods and templates with a bit of green if only to make them feel like their appreciated. Not to mention the inevitable court case against Digg (don’t take that joke seriously)
Pligg has only one PHP developer at the moment, AshDigg. Pligg is a side project for him (not his main job) and I think we can all agree that he has done wonderful work so far. Having some of the “burden” released from his shoulders can help him focus more on the future of pligg & feature implementation.
My goal for this fundraiser is to make $1,000 in 30 days. That would be enough to hire full-time PHP coder for a week (about $600) and have enough left over for other fun stuff like template designs, mods, user interface/accessibility and graphic design.
Here’s a general outline of what we will use money on to speed up the development proces and a look at what’s ahead for Pligg users:
1. New admin panel. A nice new interface to customize pligg for your specific options. No longer will you have to open up config.php in a text editor just to make some simple changes to your site!
2. New template(s). Our new template’s look will finally match our “web 2.0” feel.
3. Bug Fixes. We want to finish squashing the final bugs that are driving you all crazy… And FINALLY release a “stable” release. Say goodbye to beta.
4. Collaborative filtering engine. Imagine being able to suggest articles based on how others have voted similar to how Amazon.com suggests items that you might like based on how others have shopped. This idea will take Pligg to the next level.
5. New article features. Graphs to display a stories voting habits, a users activity and popularity. We also would like to focus on article readability, for example: the ability to “read more”.
6. Improved user interface. We want to deliver a polished interface that will leave your users wanting more. Help us help you!
7. Social networking and groups. Why have only a friends list when you can create groups? Form groups based on similar interests (film, music artist, anime, etc.) and share articles with each other.
If you would like to participate in the Pligg fundraising please private message me via the forum with your email address and I’ll send you an invite to the pligg chipin.com fundraiser account where you can donate via paypal or credit card. Any donation is appreciated and I assure you that it all goes toward a worthy cause.