There has been a lot of interest in Pligg 2.0 since we announced its development a couple months ago, and we are excited to see the feedback being posted by users on the Pligg Demo site. Currently the Pligg Demo is the only page where you can see Pligg 2 in action, but we hope to open up the beta testing to more users in the near future. In the meantime we wanted to address some common questions and list some interesting new features in Pligg 2.
First, let’s talk about features. Pligg 2 is going to have some major updates to bring it up to speed with some of the latest trends. If we were to try to list out all of the new features and bug fixes, this page would seemingly go on for ages so here is an abbreviated list of some of the features we are most excited about.
- Responsive Design. We want to present a beautiful browsing experience no matter what device you are viewing the site on. The Bootstrap-based front end and admin templates will accommodate computer, tablet, and mobile screens.
- Up + Down Voting. The new default voting method for Pligg is through up and down buttons.
- Infinite Scrolling. Why lose visitors by making them click through pagination links to continue reading? The new infinite scrolling feature (optional) will automatically load the next page’s content when you approach the bottom of a page.
- Multiple Level Commenting. Continue the discussion with as many levels of sub-comments that you need.
- Comment Permalinks. Similar to Reddit.com, you can now link to the start of a specific comment thread.
- Improved User Profiles. User profile pages will now feature Skype, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, and Pinterest links.
- Change Authors. Want to attribute an article to another member? Edit the author from the edit story page.
- Maintenance Mode. Similar to WordPress’ method, display a message to non-admin users when you need to temporarily bring your site down for maintenance.
- Password Reset Method. Pligg now emails you a link so that you can choose the new password when you forget it.
- Greatly Improved Admin Panel. Expect a future blog entry detailing the many changes made to the Admin Panel.
Frequently Asked Questions about Pligg 2
Q. When will I be able to download Pligg 2 to try it out myself?
A. Right now we are working on a few more major features, and also fixing known bugs. The list is still pretty extensive and at last count there are around 80 items left to be addressed. At this point we have invested roughly 750 development hours on Pligg 2 and we believe that we are are about 70% of the way to releasing the first beta version.
We don’t want to provide an exact date for a beta release, but we hope that it will be out before the end of September.
Q. Will I be able to upgrade from Pligg 1.x to Pligg 2?
A. Absolutely! We are making sure that Pligg 1.x databases will be able to upgrade to Pligg 2. We have to be honest though and warn users that due to the number of new features being added to Pligg 2, upgrading your template files will probably be a pain. We highly recommend that you re-skin your site based on the new Bootstrap template files.
Q. Is Pligg 2.0 rewritten from scratch?
A. No, Pligg 2.0 will be a major upgrade to Pligg 1.0′s code base. This means that if you’re experienced with the code from Pligg 1 you shouldn’t have an issue understanding Pligg 2. Similarly, templates designed for Pligg 1 should be able to be upgraded to Pligg 2 without having to start from a blank slate.